The Consultative Council on OFWs (CCOFW) had its last meeting in November 2006, meaning 16 months ago. Since then many important issues concerning migrants have come up, but no meeting has been called. The Philippine Migrants Rights Watch (PMRW), a founding member of the CCOFW, presented repeated requests to the POEA aiming at the resumption of the regular bimonthly meetings, but no action have been taken so far. Therefore, PMRW has decided to convene a meeting of CCOFW members on April 9, 2008 from 9am to 12 noon at the CBCP Office in Intramuros, Manila.
The Agenda for the said meeting are as follows:
1. Updates on programs and services of the following government agencies:
a. Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)
b. PhilHealth (program for OFWs)
2. Assessment of the policy on household workers and MC 4, and update on the review of seafarer’s contract by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA)
3. 2007 celebration of the Month of Overseas Filipinos and International Migrants Day
a. Report from PMRW
b. Report from the Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO)
4. 2008 Global Forum on Migration and Development (2008 GFMD)
a. Updates on 2008 GFMD by the Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers’ Affairs (OUMWA)
b. Updates on Civil Society Conference in the 2008 GFMD by the Ayala Foundation Inc.
c. Updates on the National Consultation for the 2008 GFMD by the Center for Migrant Advocacy (CMA)
5. Assessment of the mechanisms of consultation of the Filipino migrant workers enacted by the different agencies
6. Other Matters