In preparation for the 3rd World Social Forum on Migrations which will take place in September 2008, the International Committee (IC) of the World Social Forum on Migrations will be having a meeting on May 8-9 in Rivas Vaciamadrid, Madrid Spain. This meeting is organized by the Spanish Commission for Refugees (CEAR). MFA has been invited to be a member of the IC for the first time this year and we look forward to WSFM being a space to strengthen the discourse, analysis and critique around migration issues through experiences or insights around the region.
The World Social Forum on Migrations (WSFM) is a thematic forum located within the framework of the World Social Forums. It sets forth an alternative to neo-liberal policies seeking the consolidation of an alternative globalization that respects Universal Human Rights.
Under the direction of the International Committee, this meeting is conceived as a place for civil society, associations and social movements on a global scale to meet in order to contribute to the construction of a common political memorandum that generates debate, and makes proposals regarding migrations, development, and human rights, in the context of globalization.
The objectives of the 3rd WSFM are:
* To strengthen the global character of the WSFM, encouraging the participation of organisations and organised groups in those places that are important destinations for migration and/or the participation of refugees and displaced persons.
* To boost the presence and active participation of immigrants and immigrant associations and bodies.
* To promote the creation and/or strengthening of different immigrant and refugee associations and the consolidation of social movements.
* To provide a forum for the articulation of networks, establishing the necessary framework for meetings, exchange and analysis to take place.
* To search for a means of achieving a political impact through the establishment of working groups designed to coordinate strategies and produce declarations on key issues
Should you have any ideas or issues that you think I need to bring up in the meeting, kindly let me know in advance.