Dear Task Force CEDAW Inquiry & friends,
Greetings! We would like to inform you that the Task Force CEDAW Inquiry (Task Force) together with our international partners, the Center for Reproductive Rights and IWRAW-AP, have sent our submission to five United Nations Special Rapportuers and one UN Independent Expert (UNSRs) last Friday, March 27, namely:
· Mr. Anand GROVER, Special Rapporteur on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health
· Ms. Yakin ERTÜRK, Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
· Mr. Vernor MUÑOZ VILLALOBOS, Special Rapporteur on the right to education
· Ms. Margaret SEKAGGYA, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders
· Ms. Asma JAHANGIR, Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief
· Ms. Maria Magdalena SEPÚLVEDA CARMONA, Independent Expert on the question of human rights and extreme poverty
The submission seeks to call the UNSRs attention on the grave violations of women's human rights as a result of the introduction and implementation of EO 003 in Manila City. With the submission, we hope that the UNSRs will send their Urgent Appeals to the Philippine government (urging them to take immediate action to repeal the EO, redress the human rights violations stemming from the EO, enact the Reproductive Health Care Bill pending in Congress, and provide full access to reproductive health information and services, including providing the proper government funding in compliance with its obligation to respect, protect, and fulfill human rights) and to conduct a visit to the Philippines to investigate the impact of the ban on modern contraceptives on women’s human rights.
The submission was co-drafted by the Center for Reproductive Rights, EnGendeRights, and IWRAW-AP. This submission supplements the Initial and Supplemental Requests for Inquiry sent to the UN Committee on Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW Committee) and will add pressure on the Philippine government to consent to a request to visit by the CEDAW Committee experts and/or the UNSRs.
Please note that the Task Force now has 20 members with MAKALAYA, PNGOC, and Save the Children USA-Philippines Country Office as the additional members. We strongly encourage other organizations to join the Task Force.
Clara Rita "Claire" A. Padilla, J.D.
(co-convenor, Task Force CEDAW Inquiry)
88 Calumpit St., Veterans Village,
Quezon City , Philippines
Email: email@example.com ;